If you’ve always wanted to take scuba diving lessons, experience an underwater adventure and see the world beneath the waves, this is where it starts.
Diving Cenotes Angelita and Carwash
- Person Ages 15+
Get into a surreal world
- Cenote is a Mayan word for a deep hole formed when the ground — normally limestone — collapses, exposing water under the surface.
- The Mexican cenotes were formed thousands of years ago and have, for centuries, been the primary source of drinking water in the Yucatan.
- Some played a part in Mayan religious ceremonies.
- Among the numerous and marvelous cenotes in which it is possible to dive in the Yucatan peninsula, the cenote ANGELITA is certainly special: a deep sinkhole completely open on top that present a thick layer of hydrogen sulfide at around 100 ft/30 m which formed through rotten vegetation and which separates the fresh water from salt water below.
- Out of this opaque artificial seeming surface rises the top of the collapsed cave ceiling, like a half moon shaped island with trees on it.
- Suitable ONLY for EXPERIENCED DIVERS, the tour offers 2 dives; Angelita is the first deep multilevel dive starting with a straight descent in a surreal landscape till around 30 m/100 ft where the layer start… as passing through it the light disappear and the diving lamp becomes necessary.
- A slow ascent by making circles around the gigantic cylinder to end the experience with the safety stop.
- Completely different scenery offered by the second dive (Gran Cenote, Car-wash, Dream gate, Tajma-ha, Chikin-ha, Chack mool, etc).
- A shallow cavern partially connected with the external light, where you’ll dive around stalactite and stalagmite, observing fossil and geological structures, floating through the rain of light.
Note: The tour is made with a minimum of 2 divers: in case you’re alone there is an extra charge of 50 usd
Note: If you’re staying at Sandos Caracol or Playacar, you must pay a fee of 15 usd per exit concept of boarding fee and transportation.
- 15 years old
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or qualifying certification from another training organization
Meeting time at Scuba Libre shop locate on the 4th street between the 5th avenue and the beach at 8.00
NOTE: for the guest staying at the Sandos Caracol or Playacar the meeting time will be at 8.00 at Scuba libre dive center of the respective hotel
- Entrance fee
- Light lunch and drinks
- Diving equipment
- Transfer from and to the hotel
- If you’re staying at Sandos Caracol or Playacar, you must pay a fee of 15 usd per exit concept of boarding fee and transportation.